Wednesday, June 5, 2013

travels || carmel-by-the-sea

I suppose I'm having to squeeze a bit of effort into this post.  I didn't love Carmel, or the Carmel that most will read about or will vacation at... it's pretty kitschy and there are lots of little shops and places to winey and diney, blah blah. it's all a bit much for me.  This is all completely beside the point.  What I really want to talk is about what I noticed about Carmel when I was post-processing these photos.  By the time we had reached this gilded little european-esque beach town it had been engulfed by late afternoon fog and was almost completely devoid of color.  I loved these photos almost more than the shots I gathered from Big Sur because of this discovery.  The contrast between foggy skies, white sandy beaches or stark stuccoed houses silhouetted by wind-blown trees and their shadows, black wrought iron fences or dark figures on the beach.... well, it was really something.  I like quiet, peaceful, stark Carmel. That's the Carmel I could spend some time with.












No comments:

Post a Comment